Yes yes, I know I know…..


We didnt actually drop the project… well we did but the issue regarding that was sorted out and Zill’s still going on, quite spectacularly at that too.

the graphics hacking has been more or less finished from the normal parts (more on that below) and tom’s almost done with a project that’s been eating his time off from translating zill, so hopefully it will pick up the pace soon..

the hacking side has been a little slow as I’ve been stuck with unexpected real life complications that ate some weeks of my time. Those will end on the following weekend and I shouldbe able to return to proper work with binaryfail.


okay, so the graphics….

first of all, the translated graphics are indeed 100% done, and are one image implementation away from being 100% added into the game. They look gorgeous, the menus have all been fixed, the soul graphics imported from the ps2 (GIGANTIC quality increase!), the character portrait remastering is completed (another huge quality increase!!), the texts have all been redone and cleaned up (0% dithering), the item/skill/whatever icons are all done, and all in all everything sits in really nicely with the game.


now, the catch 32;

I started wondering what would happen if I threw the ps2 version’s character 3d textures into the psp version, since the psp version is using 128×128 resolution textures at 64 colors for all the 3d models it has against the 512×512 256color textures the ps2 version does.


i did not expect much from this since it’s rather obvious that the little psp simply cannot handle that kind of things at all as it’s lacking a dedicated GPU unlike the monstrocity that is EmotionEngine in the ps2…. well, how wrong was I again. The results of my test are SPECTACULAR!

below image is the game running using doubled texture resulutions compared to the originals (256×256 against 128×128) at 256 colors instead of 64. and there are no performance issues whatsoever…. now THIS is what I call an asset update!

(pic taken at 2x window size on PPSSPP with no filtering/upscaling applied. this is fully tested on real hardware and it looks amazing!)

Leave a Reply