Retro audio pack is complete!

After a week or so of fighting with loop points, I finally finished importing the PS1 version soundtrack to the game,

60 tracks have been replaced, and one track that did not have a matching pair on the original had to be left alone. Not all that bad I guess…

the retro mod will be an optional treat with the translation pack for those like myself and our translator, Tom who prefer the original music over the remade one.

 

Sans that, we’re still hard at work with programming the gender variable function to the game’s text engine (since you can play both a male and a female protagonist, a change has to be made to differentiate him/her in the scripts.) It’s a little bothersome to have to deal with bonus features like this since japanese language doesn’t differentiate the genders it all has to be coded from scratch.

Fortunate for us, Binaryfail dug out some unused script codes which we will harness for this purpose.

 

As far as other updates go, the text tool now supports colored text, and a pile of new cosmetic fixes was put in place. Amongs them, I parsed together a fi for the character creator’s calendar page and with that, only things left to fix on the character creation are the menu selection hover thingies and some additional text centering (there is an issue with string lengths on few strings that also needs to be sorted out…. *facepalm*)

All in all, Tom has already demonstrated a piece of translation that fully translates some moments of one of the starting scenarios, and did some additional work on weaponsmith description texts.

….Small steps.. This game is quite the behemoth of workload…

Tom’s video can be found Here. and demonstration of the game running using the PS1 soundtrack can be found Here.

 

ムギ

Translator found, moving forward!

Yes!

It happened, a translator was found and the project is actually going places now. The projects page has been brought up to date and we are hard at work with Binaryfail to get more and more of the engine side in shape. The translator goes by the name “Tommy” and according to himself, he will start working on the scripts after Christmas holidays are over, so somewhere during January.

The currently existing translations I made for menus et cetera will be re-checked and reworked if need be, but meanwhile have an eyefull of how it could look once ready.  Personally I’m so hyped it’s not even funny. (more up-to-date screenshots on the project page.)

uljm05410_0012

– ムギ

so…. the graphics

They suck in the psp version, compared to what they should be. They look generally okay for a while once you start playing the game, until you’ve played a while and start noticing how bad the quality of some of the graphics actually is. There’s loads of dithering everywhere and some graphics have been reduced to unfairly small palette sizes (16 colors works in some places but lets just face it, it doesnt have to be THAT low.)

in any case, there are more and less bad offenders when it comes to this, and things like the textbox graphic of the game are one of the worse ones.

 

Long story short, to right this wrong, I set up to a journey I failed to finish a decade ago, and hack the ps2 version of the game in order to get some less sucky assets for the psp version.

it took blood and it took tears, and it also drove binaryfail mad while he had to put up with my stupidly detailed requests to code this and that to make things happen. But at the end of the day, we prevailed! I had finally finished what I failed to accomplist 10 years ago, and what transgen failed to deliver when they dropped their translation of the ps2 version. I had finally hacked it apart. The game did indeed not go down without a fight, the data container format, the graphics formats, and overall the entire structure of the game is a complete clusterfuck, but it was worth the journey!

now this is what i call an asset upgrade:

16color “large” soul render from the psp version as opposed to 256 color actually large soul render from the ps2 version.

l4slcg3200222

proper 256 color assets for soul graphics, menu graphics, text boxes, even character model textures if I so wish to replace them (propably not.) Gone are the badly converted 16-color images, inconsistent character portraits with broken color palettes, this patch will continue forwards, and it will be fucking fabulous!

– ムギ

Zill O’ll infinite plus added to projects

zill_oll_infinite_plus_256

Zill O’ll infinite plus is another of my forever projects that picked up some wind recently.

Figured I’ll add it to the list, and I might or might not release a properly working menu translation patch for it to replace the awful machine translation mess I made back in 2013.

in any case, it’s another of the forever projects category and more or less serves to keep me away from being bored to death while im waiting for basic to work more scripts for utawarerumono portable.

 

– ムギ