We’re back at it.

Some personal matters more or less forced me to take a little break but we are back at work once again. I’m hoping that we’ll progress a bit faster from now on, but we’ll just have to wait and see for that.

out of the 616 files, not more than 12 have now been finished, which isn’t really all that much. (i’d guess it’s somewhere around 3000 lines or so out of 37000.) And this is just the initial implementation too, the whole script will be played through and re-edited once the first pass is finished. We’re working way slower than we hoped for, and while our motivation is dead serious, the amount of work basically multiplied by 1000x compared to what we had originally assumed, so it does eat us a little. Originally, Basic only joined in agreeing to work on the new content of the PSP version which we didn’t have a translation done for (since it doesn’t exist on the mirror moon’s translation) but as of now, we all agreed that the re-translation will get done, and the entire script will be overhauled.

What is slowing us down a little is the fact that we all have our own stuffs going on, and Utawarerumono is only being worked on at our “spare time.”

It will be awesome though ;)

 

– ムギ

A careful estimate

In Utawarerumono portable, there are 616 .p files, which are the game’s script.

In the 616 .p files, there are a total of 115157 lines of text. Because our text editing tool dumps the .p files as [original line] [translated line] [empty line between lines.] when we divide the amount of lines by 3, we get the amount of lines of script in the game. This number is 38385.

from the existing 38385 lines, several hundreds are system commands and other things that do not need to be touched, so a careful estimate would be that there’s around 37500 lines of text to translate.

As of writing this post, we currently have 1836 lines done.

As I’ve stated before, we are taking our time ensuring quality over speed, and needless to say, this will take a while, but  I felt like making a little statistic out of it for those who are curious about the amount of work.

-ムギ

May updates

Thought I’d write up a bit even though there’s still not much to say about the progress..

We’re working on the script, albeit slow, but that’s mostly because I’m the script editor, which basically means that we have no script editor. With my Japanese reading and comprehension skills it’s not really progressing as fast as I’d like to at all. But it’s progressing nonetheless.. I’ve spent some time in the past days trying to figure out the ordering of the event files since theire filenames or whatever else don’t really give it away, and aside that we’ve been refining the ways we lay out the text, such as how we’re setting up the Furigana text and so on…

On the graphics side, there’s not much left to do and not much has been done since the last update. Though binaryfail is starting to poke the last graphics folder soonish, and meanwhile I rebuilt the entire gallery (which is way more work than it looks like.) The gallery is now drawn out as BGRA565 instead of 256-color, meaning the quality is way better than it is on the retail version. The gallery images have all been redone from scratch and now accurately represent the contents, which changed a little with the decensored images. a total of 11 images were altered from which 4 are completely replaced, and remaining 7 are decencored. I’ll detail that out more on a later date, as it’s prone to spoilers a bit.

Still no ETA, still no partial patches… Though we’ll propably do a little video showing off how it looks soonish.

Stay tuned for more

ムギ