Translator found, moving forward!

Yes!

It happened, a translator was found and the project is actually going places now. The projects page has been brought up to date and we are hard at work with Binaryfail to get more and more of the engine side in shape. The translator goes by the name “Tommy” and according to himself, he will start working on the scripts after Christmas holidays are over, so somewhere during January.

The currently existing translations I made for menus et cetera will be re-checked and reworked if need be, but meanwhile have an eyefull of how it could look once ready.  Personally I’m so hyped it’s not even funny. (more up-to-date screenshots on the project page.)

uljm05410_0012

– ムギ

so…. the graphics

They suck in the psp version, compared to what they should be. They look generally okay for a while once you start playing the game, until you’ve played a while and start noticing how bad the quality of some of the graphics actually is. There’s loads of dithering everywhere and some graphics have been reduced to unfairly small palette sizes (16 colors works in some places but lets just face it, it doesnt have to be THAT low.)

in any case, there are more and less bad offenders when it comes to this, and things like the textbox graphic of the game are one of the worse ones.

 

Long story short, to right this wrong, I set up to a journey I failed to finish a decade ago, and hack the ps2 version of the game in order to get some less sucky assets for the psp version.

it took blood and it took tears, and it also drove binaryfail mad while he had to put up with my stupidly detailed requests to code this and that to make things happen. But at the end of the day, we prevailed! I had finally finished what I failed to accomplist 10 years ago, and what transgen failed to deliver when they dropped their translation of the ps2 version. I had finally hacked it apart. The game did indeed not go down without a fight, the data container format, the graphics formats, and overall the entire structure of the game is a complete clusterfuck, but it was worth the journey!

now this is what i call an asset upgrade:

16color “large” soul render from the psp version as opposed to 256 color actually large soul render from the ps2 version.

l4slcg3200222

proper 256 color assets for soul graphics, menu graphics, text boxes, even character model textures if I so wish to replace them (propably not.) Gone are the badly converted 16-color images, inconsistent character portraits with broken color palettes, this patch will continue forwards, and it will be fucking fabulous!

– ムギ